10/20/06

A Few of My Favorite Things

Each Friday I am going to tell you about a few of my favorite things. Maybe some of these are similar or the same as your favorites!


I love Fridays. It is a toss up between Friday and Saturday as my favorite day of the week. The cool thing about Fridays is after you get home from work you have the whole entire weekend ahead of you. Two whole days of doing anything you want. Stay up late, take as long of a lunch as you want, never get out of your pajamas, and no getting up at 6:00 a.m. to get ready for work. Well actually if I am honest, I do have to get up every day at 6:00 a.m. no matter what day it is to give my dog Otto his medicine. He has epilepsy and requires medicine twice daily. But that sure does not stop me from going back to bed at 6:10 a.m.!

Which leads me to:

I love my dogs. Yes, I guess this is a bit obvious considering my blog title is Adventures of a K9 mom. But honestly, my dogs are always there for me. No matter what I look like or how I feel. They love me, they need me, they want me around. They never judge me or tell me I am an idiot or get angry with me because I did not do something for them. They just love me. Period. They don’t care if I have the nicest clothes, or the latest styles. In fact, they like me in sweats and t-shirts because they can be all over me and I won’t care. It doesn’t matter if I have paw prints on my ancient Wrightsville Beach t-shirt with holes and frays.

I love Life is Good stuff. You know, the t-shirts, bags, sweatshirts etc that feature a stick figure guy named Jake and his dog Rocket with cute sayings on them. I will admit my first hook was Rocket. He is a cute yellow dog with prick ears and he is usually doing something fun with Jake. For instance, there is a picture of a jeep and you can see Rocket’s little head sticking out of one window and underneath this picture are the words Dog Gone. How cute is that! Yep, I just love Life is Good stuff.


I love stationery. Note cards, note paper, note pads, writing paper, envelopes, Christmas Cards, all of that stuff. I have boxes of it, all neatly labeled as to what is in each one. Thank you notes in one, blank ones in another, Christmas in one, all other holidays in another…you get the picture. And it doesn’t matter how many sets or boxes that I have. If I find some I like, I have to buy them. Now this could get way out of hand EXCEPT for the fact that I use it all. In this day and age of email, blogs and the like, I still enjoy sitting down and writing a letter or writing in my journal. The electronic stuff is fast and I am quickly becoming addicted to “blogging” but I still find delight in using a pen and writing. I write notes to friends that I don’t see often or some that I see every day! I send coupons to my sister-in-law for the fun of it (this is something that I got from my grandma who is now in a nursing home with Alzheimer’s. I thought it was sweet that she would think of me and do that and so I carry it on). I am sure Krista finds it odd but she is kind enough not to say so. I send cards to my nieces that contain pictures I have colored for them, or a dollar or some other small trinket just so they can get mail. It is great to get something in the mail that is not a bill or junk mail! Stationery is fun, so go out to your local shop and get some today!

I love Cookie Monster. He is “fuzzy and blue, from head to bottom of shoe.” And that is only one of the many reasons I love him. He is furry and big, his googley eyes crack me up and he just makes me smile. Me love you Cookie!



I love doing “projects” with my niece Mallory. I love my nieces Mallory and Phoebe as if they were my own. One of my favorite things to do is bring a “project” over to my brother’s house for Mallory and I to do. Sometimes we color, sometimes we bake cookies and sometimes I will bring a craft kit over. Last night we made a wreath out of foam pieces. They were flowers and you glued google eyes on them and then to the foam wreath. The project turned out so cute and Mallory had a good time. (And, maybe Krista got 5 minutes of peace and quiet with Phoebe.) I can’t wait for Phoebe to become a little older and she can do projects with us!

Well, those are just a few of my favorite things. Stay tuned for more next Friday.

“How cute is that” for today: I went over to my brother and sister-in-law's last night at Mallory’s request and we did the art project mentioned above. At one point she leaned over to me and said “Mimi, I am really glad you came over to my house”. I said that I was really glad too and then she asked me if I was having a good time. I said that I was and she patted my hand and said “Me too”. I got a little misty.

No comments: