8/5/08

Time Flies...

So, my 20 Year Class Reunion is in September. Seriously, I find it hard to believe. I just don’t know where the 20 years has gone! As I look back at the past 20 years it strikes that I am not anywhere that I thought I would be or doing what I thought I would be doing. What did I think? Well, here are a few things:

1. I thought I would be living in the city in Chicago. I have no clue why I thought this. Maybe because I just love that city.

2. I thought I would be married with kids. I had the married part-I just didn’t see divorce in my future! And I would never have guessed that I wouldn’t be a mom to human kids (just fuzzy ones!)

3. I thought I would be teaching History to High School students who would have a love of the subject because I made it exciting and fun.

4. I never thought I would have done all the volunteering or work with animals that I have done.

5. I never thought I would have rescued as many animals as I have: birds, opossums, lizards, turtles, dogs, cats and snakes just to name a few. Yes, I have gotten out of the car to carry a snake out of harms way. Anyone who knew me then would probably find this one hard to believe!

6. I never thought I would live alone.

7. I never thought I could/would need to make it on my own.

But I guess that is what reunions are for. Showing us how much we have changed (me, hopefully for the better) and how far (or not) we have come. I try to think back about my days at Cardinal Gibbons and remember certain details, but realize that most have become fuzzy over time. I hope I will have fun at the reunion. I hope to see some of my old friends and the boys I had crushes on. But most importantly, I hope to go and come a way with the sense of fulfillment and contentment I have about my life. Because even though very few ideas that I had about myself came to be and things have not been easy, I realize I am in the place that I was meant to be, doing exactly what I was meant to do, loved by my family, my dogs, and my friends. And I couldn’t ask for more than that.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I don't think my life has quite turned out how I planned it either...

Melanie said...

I've got my 10 year high school reunion this month!