10/17/06

"Shave and a Hair Cut, 2 Bits!"

Chloe went to be groomed today for the winter. A nice bath, nail trim and hair cut. I was concerned about her fur being too short for the cooler weather but she is much happier with short fur. I told Chloe that if she got too cold I would buy her a sweater. She was not too thrilled about that one! The groomers that I take her to are part of my veterinarian’s practice and absolutely fabulous. As far I have seen they are wonderful with the dogs! They seem gentle and kind with them and that is so important. My hat goes off to them because grooming a four legged creature that likes to be dirty and wiggles uncontrollably to get off the grooming table and constantly pulling their paws away as they are trying to trim their nails is no easy task. It is expensive for my “single person” budget ($70 each time for a dog the size of Chloe) but completely worth it to me. Plus, I don’t have to be the bad guy trimming the nails! Also very important!

A background note on Chloe: I adopted Chloe when she was about 9 weeks old. Chloe and her 3 litter mates (all boys) had been tossed into a dumpster at a convenience store in Raleigh . Apparently their owner was unaware that the local animal shelter is only about 3 miles from this particular dumpster. Luckily, a good person heard them crying, climbed up and retrieved them from the dumpster. When Scott (my ex) and I went to see her she was the only puppy of the litter left and she was hiding under the deck. She was the cutest puppy I had ever seen and turned out to be the best dog imaginable. She has done therapy work at nursing homes and elementary schools, been on TV for Bring Your Dog to Work Day, has been one of my 4 year old niece’s favorite playmates and one of the happiest parts of my life. She is always there for me with a loveable nudge of her nose under my hand to be pet or a warm snuggle at night. She is a good dog, a great listener and the most loveable friend!

Today’s comment: Adopt a homeless animal. Save a life!

1 comment:

Krista said...

Chloe is the best!

(This reminds me that Finn needs to be groomed!)