11/2/06

"Do you Hear What I Hear"?

Yesterday on my way home from work, I turned on one of our local radio stations. To my great surprise Band Aid’s “Do They Know Its Christmas” came wafting out of the speakers. Now this station is famous around here for playing all Christmas music all the time starting around Thanksgiving…or so I thought. As I am hearing this relic from the 80’s (actually one of my favorites from that time), I thought to myself, “Oh cool, they are giving us a taste of what is to come”. So the song was over and then “Do you Hear What I Hear” came on. I thought hmmmmm, interesting. And when Sam Cooke started to sing the “Christmas Song” it dawned on me, THEY HAD STARTED PLAYING THE CHRISTMAS MUSIC ALREADY!! I have to admit I was pretty unnerved (as well as a little slow). First, let me start off by saying that Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love the cold crisp weather, I love Christmas lights, Christmas cards (see previous post!), I love to wrap presents, I love searching and trying to buy that one perfect gift for someone and I love Christmas music. BUT NOT ON NOVEMBER 1st. Christmas is still 2 months away. What happened to Thanksgiving, another wonderful holiday? I guess it also did not help my mood that it was 78 degrees here in NC, so I really wasn’t feeling all that Christmasy. And then I started to panic. “Holy crap I have no presents bought, no plan for baking cookies, decorating my house etc.” “I am doomed”! And then rational thoughts returned and I thought, well it is only November 1st. YOU HAVE 2 MONTHS!

So, while I appreciate Christmas music on the radio 24-7, I really wish these companies would realize that it isn’t about being bigger and better for the holidays. It is not about who can get the gift wrap out in their stores first or the first to sell out of the new Tickle Me Elmo. It is about family, peace, joy, happiness, love and everything good about humanity.

My plan is to try and keep that in mind this holiday season.

No comments: