11/13/06

" Oh Deer"


I had a very sad drive in to work today, because I encountered 5 dead deer. They were all on the same road and you could tell it had happened quite recently. I have never seen this many on one road before and I got very upset. I get very upset when I see any animal that has been hit by a car. I admit, I am emotionally weak when it comes to an injured animal. I get weepy seeing their lifeless bodies on the side of the road. It really upsets me. I think that the part that upsets me the most is the fact that in some if not most cases the “accident” is avoidable. Humans are so busy trying to get somewhere that they speed and do not pay attention like they should. Humans throw food out the windows of their cars thinking it is not littering. It is food! It is biodegradable! IT IS STILL LITTERING!! This food attracts wildlife to the road and puts them in harms way when they possibly would not have been. So it started me thinking about what we as humans can do to help. I am pretty in tune with wildlife so I know what I do to avoid an accident involving them. I purposely drive slower between dusk and dawn and scan for deer, raccoons etc that might be stirring. I also make sure that I never throw food or even gum out of my car window. So after thinking about this, I tried to think of a way to get the word out and some additional things that I could do. So, I went online and found some tips from the HSUS that can help you avoid accidents with wildlife.

First: Scan the road as you drive, watching the edges for wildlife about to cross. Not only will this help you to avoid harming or killing wildlife, but it will also make you more aware of other hazards such as bicyclists, children at play, and slowly moving vehicles.

Be Alert!
Be especially watchful for wildlife at dawn, dusk, and in the first few hours after darkness falls. Many species of wildlife are most active at these times.

Edges of roads that border agricultural fields or natural habitats are places to be particularly watchful for wildlife.

Assume that animals do not know to get out of your way. Young animals, in particular, do not recognize cars as a threat.

Lower your dashboard lights slightly. You'll be more likely to see your headlights reflected in the eyes of animals in time to brake.

Every apple core, french fry, and smelly sandwich wrapper tossed out of a car attracts wildlife to roadsides—often with fatal results. Never throw litter from your car.

Remember that where there is one animal crossing, there may be more, young animals following their mother or male animals pursuing a mate.

Try to slow down, especially after dark. Many animals needlessly become victims simply because people drive too fast to avoid hitting them. Speed poses a risk to human safety as well.

Some additional information:
Should you spot an animal beside the road, slow down until you have safely passed it. Expect more animals to follow. Animals near the roadside may bolt suddenly, so approach with caution. Turn on your flashers to warn other drivers.If the animal is in your path, brake firmly but do not swerve to avoid it. Sound your horn in a series of short bursts to frighten it away. Provided you can slow down with control, steer around the animal but stay on the highway. Watch out for oncoming traffic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good advice. I get really nervous driving down our road at night, especially now that they're building yet another subdivision right off the bypass.

I still remember that deer I hit that time -- what an awful feeling. I think he was okay (at least, he was able to run away), but it was still terrible.