11/8/06

Rock the Vote!

Well, yesterday I got up early and did my civic duty, I voted. Now usually the day after an election I am depressed because the candidates that I voted for did not win. This year has been different in that a majority of the candidates I voted for won.
But, the election I was most excited about did not even take place in my own state. It took place in the 11th District of California. Richard Pombo the Republican unexpectedly lost his seat to Jerry McNerney the Democrat. Let me just say that this was not about Republican versus Democrat for me. It was about a villian to wildlife and our enviroment. Richard Pombo is ANYTHING but a friend of the environment and wildlife, which is disturbing since he is the chairman of the United States House Committee on Resources. Now here is a guy who has been trying to weaken the Endangered Species Act, promotes drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge and wants to sell ¼ of the land managed by the National Park Service. He also has ties to Jack Abramoff and has accepted money from oil companies. Hmmmm, accepting money from oil companies and wanting to drill in the Arctic National Wildlife refuge. Do we see a pattern here? Hopefully with his removal, the committee will be chaired by someone who actually CARES about our environment and protecting it for the next generation! Maybe the wolves, and other endangered species will sleep easier tonight knowing that someone will be fighting for their survival. I know I will.

No comments: