1/31/07

Getting Ready



We have snow and ice in the forecast for tomorrow and every good North Carolinian knows what that means…you have to get ready by rushing en mass to the grocery store and buying up all the milk, bread and batteries. I, however tend to go for things like Mountain Dew, chips and Reese Peanut Butter Cups. I mean when you are stuck inside on a snowy day who wants bread and a glass of milk? But seriously, I find my self sitting here at work thinking of everything that I need to do at the house if we are going to have an ice situation. I have a list made of what I need to do and it looks like this:

Vacuum
Finish doing all the laundry (this is a TALL order. I always have laundry, and lots of it)
Fill all available containers with water including tub while showering.
Make sure kitchen is cleaned up.
Go to Target for a new ceramic heater or electric blanket for outside for Flounder
Get out Flashlights and put one in each room.
Make sure dogs have clean blankets in kennels.
Bird Seed
Extra cat food
Candles?
Find Batteries and radio.
Fill car with gas.
Get some Cash.
Make sure cell phone is charged.

And that is the short list. I have good reasons for this list. No really!

For one, I have been stuck in an ice storm without being prepared and it stunk. We did not have electricity for 2 days. Which was short compared too many others who were without power for a week or more. So, without electricity the pump for the well did not work so there was no water. Luckily, because it was cold the dogs did not drink too much so it wasn’t too bad. But with no extra water we could not do important things like flush the toilet…ewww or brush our teeth! After that I swore I would not be caught unaware again. So while it sounds weird to fill your tub with water while you are showering, it makes sense if you are going to use that water to pour into the toilet to flush it if you have no electricity.

Now the gas, cash and cell phone is something that stemmed from an episode 2 years ago where we had a freak ice storm and traffic crisis and it took me 9 hours to get home. I live 20 miles from work. This is a 30 minute drive. I was stuck in the car for 9 hours, with no food, no water, no cash, no credit card, in a skirt and heels with no way to go to the bathroom. (So the no water thing was probably ok!) I was afraid to get out of traffic for fear I would never be let back in. I also had to drive on the sidewalk because the hill was icy and everyone was spinning out and off the road. It is weird to be dodging road signs and mailboxes while making your way down Durant Road! Plus, I realized that if I did have to get out and walk I was wearing tights and heels. Not good for trekking through snow and ice. If work is not canceled, I will be wearing jeans and boots to work. The bird seed, extra cat food and heater are probably over kill BUT I want to make sure that all the creatures have something to eat, and provided we have electricity, warm.

Just a few days ago, I wished for a snow day. Now it looks like I might get my wish. I just hope I am prepared so I can enjoy it!

No comments: