5/2/07

Turtle Crossing




My public service annaouncement today is in honor of all my turtle friends. Now is the time of year when the turtles are out in full force. They are trying to cross our roads and highways in search of...I don't know a pond? A girl or boy turtle? food?

But my point is PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN DRIVING!

If you see something in the road that looks like a decent sized rock, procede with caution! It could be a turtle trying to cross the road. What should you do if it is a turtle? If you can safely pull over, do so and help the little guy across IN THE SAME DIRECTION THAT HE WAS GOING. Otherwise, he will just turn around and get right back in the road. If you can't safely pull over, slow down considerably to try and avoid the turtle. I always turn my flashers on just to alert the people behind me. It usually works. One word of caution about stopping for a turtle. Try and pick them up closer to the back of the shell with both hands regardless of how small they are. You have better control and I think it makes them feeler safer although I have no idea really. I just always do it that way. Also, if it is a snapping turtle, well it can't snap you! One time I stopped for a huge turtle and did not realize it was a snapper at first. He turned around and tried to take my fingers off. I said "Hey I am just trying to help you!" as I lugged him accross the road to shouts and cheers and thumbs up signs. I have never seen such a huge turtle exceot at the zoo.

Good luck turtles! I am a big fan and I am pulling for all of you!

1 comment:

Krista said...

You know, I have never ever seen a turtle on the road. And I do watch for them! Maybe I'm on the wrong roads.

Anyway, good for you for helping our turtle friends!