1/28/08

The Complete Jane Austen

Every Sunday night I watch Masterpiece Theater or Mystery on PBS. The next day, I call my mom and discuss with her. Right now Masterpiece Theater is showing The Complete Jane Austen. SO far they have shown Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park. I LOVE JANE AUSTEN! Well, I should say that I am a huge fan of the movie adaptations of her books. All of them! I have Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and Pride & Prejudice-the BBC mini-series and the new movie that came out in 2006. I have watched all of these about 10 times...yes even the mini series. But, I am ashamed to say that I have never read the books. So, I am on a quest to read all the Jane Austen novels. I am not sure what it is about them that I love so much. I think part of it is there is always a happy ending. The girl gets the boy and everyone is happy. I love that! And Seriously, Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. I am swooning right now! Of course Matthew MacFadyen is quiet swoonable too! (I know swoonable is not a word!) And the women are strong. They are smart, generous and caring. They wear these great dresses. They get to sit around and do needlepoint or take walks, go on picnics, horse rides etc. Of course their lives are not perfect, some have really mean parents, or just stupid ones. Some are poor and have terrible familes. But they are always better for it in the end. They know exactly what to say...Oh to be Anne from Persuasion...sigh

Well I should get going. I have ALOT of reading to do. I wonder if I should get some Cliffs notes?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, I wish I had known this was on! I love Jane Austin too! Pride & Prejudice is one of my favorite books.

I watched "The Jane Austin Book Club" on my flight back from Vegas. It was pretty cute - I think you would like it!

MomofK9s said...

I wish I had know so I could have told you! This coming Sunday
(2/10)Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth version) is on at 9:00 p.m.