7/17/08

If it is not one thing it's Otto


(I know my deck looks a complete mess but it is clean now. Well except for 100 dog toys!)

This is a well worn statement in our house. I love all 3 of my dogs. I always say they are my kids. And Otto is the "baby" so of course he is spoiled and as much as I hate to admit this; maybe a smidge more than the others. It is not intentional but Otto has a medical condition and so he gets pampered a bit. I call Otto the "million dollar dog" because I have spent so much money on his vet care. Otto has epilepsy and takes meds to control his seizures, and they work pretty well.

I have been very concerned about him for the past several weeks because he has been having some real trouble walking. I have been having scary thoughts of brain tumors, seizures and strokes and basically worrying myself sick. We went to see Otto's vet today (who has to be the most patient, kind man in the universe to deal with me)for some help. I don't know a whole lot more than I did before except that Otto is ok as far as we know. Dr. B said that we could have a $1200 MRI done (I barely scraped together the $50 for the office visit) that would probably tell us what was what wrong but would not change anything. Sigh. So for now, I am going to be happy in the knowledge that I am doing everything I can to keep him happy and healthy and I will just need to get used to his funny walk and stumbling. I also learned that Otto is happy (well as far Dr. B and I know)and not suffering and besides a little arthritis in his right hip, he isn't in any pain. In other words, Otto's quality of life is good. And so I will continue to keep him and Bunnie and Chloe happy and comfortable and love them all way too much. And maybe that is all we can hope for in life. To have someone try and keep us happy and comfortable and love us too much. Well, it is one of the things I hope for.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for all their good thoughts today. It meant a lot to Otto and more to me.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I'm sorry that you didn't get any definitive answers, but glad that Otto is still happy! He's a cutie.