2/21/08

Dress Code

Yesterday, we received an email from the powers that be in regards to our dress code policy. I completely understand the need for a dress code. But some of the things that they single out just baffle me. For instance:

No bedroom shoes, flip-flops, or “Birkenstock”-style shoes should be worn to work unless medically necessary with a note from your physician.

Hmm…I know, how about if we focus on people wearing shoes that don’t fit properly so their toes hang off the edge like CLAWS. It is unsightly and to me more of a problem for an employee's overall appearance than say a “Birkenstock” style shoe. And, seriously, we have to worry about people wearing BEDROOM SLIPPERS? I understand if you have some sort of foot injury, you might need to modify your footwear. BUT BEDROOM SLIPPERS?

All employees: Denim jeans of any color, 5 pocket pants (with the small coin pocket that look like jeans regardless of the material, including corduroy), t-shirts, and tennis shoes are prohibited unless expected by job requirements. Midriff tops or any tops that show an employee’s mid-section are also prohibited.

Ok several things here. I have a problem with the 5 pocket pants. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?! I mean there are some 5 pocket pants that are a whole nicer than some denim skirts that I have seen! (Denim skirts ARE permitted). And why is it only 5 pocket ones? Why not “more than 2 pockets”. I would never wear cargo pants to work, but they have 6 pockets so does that qualify as permissible? I mean they are not 5 pocket pants and they are not made of denim? And I can’t believe there is a problem with midriff tops or tops that show an employees midsection. Do they even make those anymore? I thought they went out in the early 90s.

Avoid clothing that is too revealing, tight fitting, see-through, or too short.

No visible tattoo(s) or body piercing(s), other than earrings, are permitted

These 2 I completely agree with. I guess what perplexes me is that our company finds it necessary to single out these things. See-through tops? Good grief, when is a see-through shirt ok to wear EVER? Trolling the bars for a date maybe, but work? Please people who wear see-through shirts, use some common sense! And I really do not want to see anyone’s tattoos or piercings. They creep me out. I was married to a man with several tattoos and again, they creeped me out. Especially when I found out one had the name of an old girlfriend on it that was now covered up. So I feel qualified to make this statement.

OK, everyone get out those see-through, midriff tops and your 5 pocket pants and go to work! I mean they can’t send everyone home can they? :-)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm sad! I honestly didn't read the dress code policy email, but now I've learned from your blog that I can't wear my Liz Claiborne five-pocket pants! How sad is that! They are nice, and I usually wear them with a nice shirt.