2/23/08

Good thoughts for Oswald


My feral cat Oswald has been hurt badly. I think he was hit by a car. I am devastated. It is a long story and maybe when I am not so tired I will blog it. Right now he is in my outside laundry room in a bed I made for him out of blankets and those heat patches you put on sore muscles. I think they are safer than a heating pad and seem to be doing the trick. I think he has a broken back leg. I am hoping that he gets a vet appointment for Monday. Right now he is stable. Eating and drinking and purring like crazy when I go in to see him. He was always the friendliest of the ferals.


What has really been bothering me is that a lot of vets will not treat feral cats. And if you find one that will, without being a part of a rescue group they charge you a lot. Unfortunately, I don't have extra money. In fact each month it is a bit difficult to feed myself, my dogs, my cat and the ferals. (Feral cats eat A LOT!) Ferals lead a very difficult life. Trying to find food and shelter every day in every kind of weather. Avoiding the humans that hate them, avoiding cars and predators etc. But the real rub is that it is not their fault. They did not ask to be let go in an inhospitable world. Again it is humans that did that. And they did not even have the decency to fix them so they did not reproduce and just make the cycle more far reaching. I am doing everything I can for him right now as I wait and see. Checking on him every 2-3 hours, sitting with him so he knows that someone cares about him, bringing the electric heater out there to take the chill out of the damp cold laundry room. Changing his blankets and towels and adding more heat patches to keep him warm, feeding him by hand...But it still feels like not enough. I feel my attempts are completely inadequate.


So, please think good thoughts for us. Even though they are not technically my cats, I love them like they are. And seeing him hurt is killing me.

2 comments:

Catz said...

Gosh I hope he will be okay and I know that you are doing your very best for him. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you and him.
Keep me posted.

MomofK9s said...

Thanks Catz. Someone from rescue came this morning and took him to the vet. Now I have to wait and see what will happen. I am so afraid I won't see him again. :-(