5/28/08

Sniff, Sniff do I smell biscuits?

Do you ever find that certain smells remind you things? Bring back memories? Well, this morning I was making some biscuits for breakfast (2 for 2 WW points!) and the smell reminded me of my grandma’s house. When we were younger, my grandparents would send me and my brother plane tickets to Chicago and we would stay with them for a month or so during our summer break from school. I loved going! We got to fly by ourselves (weren’t we big shots!), eat whatever we wanted, go to White Sox games and the zoo. But the most fun thing for me was getting to go to work with grandma downtown Chicago. She worked in a huge building in the Loop. My grandma’s boss was Mr. Blevins. He was such a nice man. He used to let us come to work with my grandma every day (if we wanted, and I always did!) and I remember when he would go out to lunch he always bring us some treat back; popcorn a lollipop etc. But the most fun thing for me was I got to play office IN A REAL OFFICE!!! I mean what other 10 year old doesn’t love that! I got to play with the adding machine, and the Xerox machine (the old kind where the copies came out a little wet) and all of the office supplies that there were. At lunch we would go to Weibolt’s Department store, hit the toy section and then back to work.

How this ties in with baking biscuits…Biscuits have been a favorite food of mine for as long as I can remember. And my grandma would get up and make a pan of biscuits (the Pilsbury type) before we had to leave to catch the train. (The train was totally fun and could be a little weird!) I can remember waking up to the smell of the biscuits baking and the radio on in the kitchen. I would always lay there awhile listening to my grandparents talking while my grandpa got ready to go to work at the steel mill. Those summers were so much fun. I always missed my mom and dad but my brother and I had such a good time together. Sometimes I miss those days. Hanging out with my brother on my grandparent’s front porch (it was all enclosed so sometimes we would sleep out there) reading or drawing or playing Connect Four. I always had a collection of stuffed animals with me (yes, I had the obsession even back then!) and my brother always had some comics or some such thing. Sometimes I wish I could go back to that time, just for the day. So my grandpa and I could watch a nature show together or go shopping with my grandma. My grandpa is gone now and my grandma has Alzhiemers so she doesn’t even know who I am. It makes me sad, but I always all the good memories.

1 comment:

Krista said...

Those are the best kind of memories. I remember spending summers with my grandparents in the mountains. Roller skating and trout fishing and riding around in golf carts. Good times!