5/12/08

To be or not to be…a vegetarian

Well, I think I am going back to being a vegetarian. Let me start this off by saying that I have been a vegetarian in the past-I was one of the ones that would eat eggs, cheese, shrimp, and drink milk but would not eat “animals with faces”. Seriously, shrimp have no faces. They are bugs of the sea…at least this is how I rationalize it to myself! (and no, I am not a huge fan of fish if I can help it. If that is my only non-meat choice than I go for it, but would rather not). So, I know that I can do it. The problem for me is I actually like meat. I just don’t like knowing where the meat comes from. It makes me sad that a cow who has big beautiful eyes had to die for me to have a cheeseburger. I don’t dislike people who like meat or hold it against them. I also don’t mind that they eat meat in my presence. I do mind if they make fun of me or others who choose this lifestyle. Or those people with stupid bumper stickers that say things like “I like animals, they taste great!” or whatever other stupid thing they say. Keep your personal food habits to your self buddy. But I digress…

The reason for my post today is something that happened to me this morning which got me to thinking. As I was cruising down 540 on my way to work this morning I passed a semi. As I got closer I knew it was a semi carrying some type of livestock. It happened to be filled with pigs. Huge pink pigs, with numbers spray painted on their backs. And they were looking right me as I drove by. I mean right in to my eyes (I was being careful while driving I promise!) And then I started to cry. A lot. Because I knew where they were going.
I just don’t want to be the cause of another living things suffering. And I know there are people out there who say they don’t have feelings blah blah blah. But, animals do feel pain. And I don’t want to be the cause of anything’s pain, physical or emotional. I try not to buy things made of leather or that have fur. I do drink milk but I am going to try soy milk and see if I can handle that. So, here I go again. I would be really happy if sticks this time…but I am still eating shrimp! :-)

3 comments:

Krista said...

I like your new layout -- very cute!

Good luck figuring this one out...I understand how you feel about the ethical/moral side of things. My problem is that I don't like vegetables so I don't know what I would eat!

MomofK9s said...

Krista:

That is totally my problem! And then add weight watchers in to the mix and I am really confused! I do love your green beans that you make!

ELMfyi said...

I feel you on this. I feel guilty as hell eating cows, chickens, pigs, etc. Especially when those little pig noses stick out between the slats of those big trucks on I-40.